Home > Citrix, Web Interface > Decrapifying the Citrix Web Interface (5.4)

Decrapifying the Citrix Web Interface (5.4)

If like me, you like to remove the majority of the Citrix Branding from the web interface, you may find this post useful. Below I’ve broken the web interface down into the 6-7 components that are modifiable and given instruction on how to remove, or replace the images / tag lines.

This blog post would not have been possible without the hard work by the guys on the Citrix forums: http://forums.citrix.com/thread.jspa?threadID=278277&tstart=0

Below you will find a break down of the seperate web interface components, and the numbers I’ve allocated to them, I’ve used the login screen as a template, as this contains all the images / taglines you will see on the web interfaces different screens.

Note: The image names containing “Dark” or “logged off” are specifically for the logged off screen. You’ll find both gif (for older browsers ) and png files for each of the different images.

1: Header logo.

To remove the logo from the top of the page, find the below entry in .\app_data\include\fullstyle.inc and add the bolded text:

#headerLogo {
padding: 11px 0 11px 18px;
display: none;}

To use a custom graphic instead of the default, modify the following files:

.\media\CitrixLogoHeader.png
.\media\CitrixLogoHeader.gif

(there’s no dark logo for this file)

2: Product graphic.

This product graphic can be either XenApp or XenDesktop depending on your installation. To remove the product graphic, find the below entry in .\app_data\include\fullstyle.inc and add the bolded text:

#horizonTop img {
padding-top: 75px;
Display: none;
}

To use a custom image in place of the product graphic, modify the following files:

For XenApp:

.\media\CitrixXenApp.gif
.\media\CitrixXenAppLoggedoff.gif
.\media\CitrixXenApp.png
.\media\CitrixXenAppLoggedoff.png

For XenDesktop:

.\media\CitrixXenDesktop.gif
.\media\CitrixXenDesktopLoggedoff.gif
.\media\CitrixXenDesktop.png
.\media\CitrixXenDesktopLoggedoff.png

3: Devices.

The devices image appears to the left and right of the login window. To remove the Devices graphic, find the below entry in .\app_data\include\fullstyle.inc and add the bolded text:

.horizonPage .mainPane {
position: relative;
top: -120px;
background: none;
color: white;
padding: 0;
overflow: auto;
}

To replace the devices image with a custom image, modify the following files:

.\media\Devices.gif
.\media\DevicesLoggedoff.gif
.\media\Devices.png
.\media\DevicesLoggedoff.png

5: Tagline.

To remove the tagline “your windows desktop and apps on demand – from any pc”, find the below entry in .\app_data\include\fullstyle.inc and add the bolded text:

#horizonTagline {
color: #F2F2F2;
font-size: 180%;
font-weight: normal;
margin: 50px 0 0 0;
padding-bottom: 10px;
text-align: center;
display: none;
}

To enter a custom tagline, find the below entry in C:\Program Files (x86)\Citrix\Web Interface\5.4.0\languages\accessplatform_strings.properties and replace the bolded text with your custom message.

HorizonTagline=Your Windows desktops and apps on demand – from any PC, Mac, smartphone or tablet.

Footer:

The footer on the web interface site is made up of potentially two components, the Citrix footer logo and the hdx logo. If you wish to indiscriminately remove both from the login page, find the below entry in .\app_data\include\fullstyle.inc and add the bolded text:

#footer
{
text-align: center;
padding-bottom: 10px;
display: none;
}

#footer p
{
padding: 10px 0;
display: none;
}

6: Citrix Logo

The Citrix footer logo appears at the bottom of most web interface pages. To remove the logo, find the below entry in .\app_data\include\fullstyle.inc and add the bolded text:

#footer img
{
padding: 0 8px;
vertical-align: middle;
display: none;
}

To replace the footer citrix logo with a custom graphic, modify the following files:

.\media\CitrixWatermark.png
.\media\CitrixLogoDarkLoggedOff.png
.\media\CitrixWatermark.gif
.\media\CitrixLogoDarkLoggedOff.gif

7: HDX logo

The HDX footer appears at the bottom of the login page. To remove the logo, find the below entry in .\app_data\include\fullstyle.inc and add the bolded text:

.horizonPage #hdxLogo {
display: none;
}

To replace the HDX logo with a custom graphic, modify the following files:

.\media\HDX.gif
.\media\HDXLoggedoff.gif
.\media\HDX.png
.\media\HDXLoggedoff.png

And that’s it! hopefully with the above info you can remove the unsightly self advertisement and replace it with something unique to your organisation.

If you spot anything additional you would like to remove, drop me a comment and I’ll see what I can do.

1. mark
    August 31, 2011 at 11:15 am

Thanks for the share – great article – and all of the above crapifications agreed.

2. Kong
    October 6, 2011 at 1:34 am

Great post. this post help me with my WI 5.4. Thanks.

Questions:
    i’m experiencing a slow web page load. It takes about 1 minute to load the page. Do any of you experience this? How do i fix this? Your help is appreciated.

Kong

3. October 6, 2011 at 7:52 am

Hi Kong,

Thanks for the feedback

Is the web interface slow to load the page each time or the first time each morning?

4. Lee Suddeath
    October 6, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Is there any way that you know of to remove or change the hyperlink for the footer logo? I’ve tried changing it in app_code\PagesJava\com\citrix\wi\controls\FooterControl.java, but it always breaks the site.

5. Lee Suddeath
    October 6, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Ooops, actually it does work. I guess that could be something that you could add to your information.

6. October 7, 2011 at 10:01 am

Thanks for sharing that Lee!

7. James Cunningham
    November 14, 2011 at 1:17 am

Thanks for the info Andrew, this has been a great help. I would put 2 hyperlinks with icons on each side of the login page, where the devices img lie. Have you done this before? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

8. November 20, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Good post and I love the title :)

9. Joe Rainero
    December 19, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Great stuff. Is there another article for customizing the Access Gateway?

• December 20, 2011 at 7:53 am

Hi joe, I haven’t done an article on access gateway, let me know which access gateway you wish to customize, including which you would like to remove / add and I’ll throw something together.

10. Scott
    January 30, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Thanks for the great info…one question…how do you edit the actual logon box?

• January 30, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Hi Scott, hate to answer a question with a question, but what do you wish to do?

• Scott
        January 30, 2012 at 5:52 pm

I would like to add a custome logo and change the text…nothing too fancy

11. January 30, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Hi Scott, have you tried this thread? http://forums.citrix.com/thread.jspa?threadID=278818&tstart=30

it has some information on putting a logo in the login box and customising the text.

if you’re still stuck, drop me an email on andrew [at] andrewmorgan [dot] ie and I’ll see what I can do.

A

• Scott
      February 1, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Thanks for your help…
      I found how he did this:

C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Citrix\XenApp\app_data\include\loginmainform.inc

Search for

add the below red text:

___________________________________

if (viewControl.getShowLoginTypeOptions()) {

___________________________________

To modify the welcome message, username, password and domain name prompt, see below: this file is located in:

C:\Program Files\Citrix\Web Interface\5.4.0\languages\accessplatform_strings.properties
      Look for LoginWelcomeTitle

The expanding of the login page is tricky, the easiest way to expand the login box is to utilise a long login message.

12. Scott
    February 1, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Let me add that the answer above came from Andrew…the credit is his..

13. February 1, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Thanks Scott!

14. T. Nguyen
    February 18, 2012 at 4:12 am

I setup the login form to accept the UPN only, is there a way to change the “User Name” label to “E-Mail Address”?

• T. Nguyen
      February 18, 2012 at 4:30 am

Found the answer:

Modify the C\Program Files (x86)\Citrix\Web Interface\5.4.0\languages\accessplatform_strings.properties:

# General Authentication
      UserName=User name:

>> Change to: UserName=E-Mail Address:

15. julien sybille
    February 20, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Nice article.

16. Jacky
    February 23, 2012 at 6:12 am

Hi Andrew,

Great article. Thanks.

i have the same problem as Kong above. i experience a slow web page load. It takes about 1 minute to load the page. Is there a way to fix this? The web interface slowly load the first time each morning.

Thanks for your help in advance!

17. Jacky
    February 23, 2012 at 9:52 pm

Thanks Andrew.

I will give this a try and will let you know.

Also, i have published “notepad” on my farm. When i login to the Citrix web page and launch “notepad” app i see a quick flash of the windows server desktop before it open “notepad” app. This also occur when i logout as well. It look like sort of login and logout of the server from RDP. Is there a way to fix it. Thanks a lot for your help.

• IronVarmint
      September 14, 2012 at 8:02 pm

I’m in the process of customizing my interface to use an all white background, completely removing the Citrix crap. I have a similar issue on one of my two WI servers, but can’t find the setting that is different (I’ve diff’ed the entire folder.)

The flash I get is of the gray gradient banding above and below the login box. It happens on login, probably during the detection phase. The same banding appears on the logout of one of my WI sites even though the site code and images are exactly the same. After the diff, I ran an rsync with –delete to check everything was clean. If I can determine an image is used for the upper and lower , I’ll simply rename it or or create a white replacement.

I imagine part of this issue deals with the way each IE version occasionally ignore different CSS directives, but I’m not an HTMLer so tracking it down is going to be a tough. I’ve got a list of settings that I’ll have to post up later when complete.

Thanks for the site, Andrew!

18. February 24, 2012 at 8:48 am

Can’t say I’ve seen that before Jacky, sorry :(

• Jacky
      February 27, 2012 at 10:32 pm

Thanks for replying.

Is there a way to make the Logon text message bigger and change the text to a different color code (from white to blue or red) ? Thanks.

• March 6, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Hi Jacky,

I did look but i couldn’t find the option. Maybe try the citrix forums?

19. February 28, 2012 at 9:15 am

Hi Jacky,

I’ll have a look into this tomorrow and get back to you.

20. Jacky
    March 6, 2012 at 12:23 am

Hi Andrew,

Any luck? Thanks.

21. March 6, 2012 at 5:24 pm

To get rid of the devices img on log out set “.loggedOut .mainPane ” to diaplay:none

22. milan
    March 20, 2012 at 1:59 pm

logos can be found in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\citrix ;-)

23. March 21, 2012 at 8:12 pm

All,

I found in the fullStyle.inc where to change the Logon Message Text. At the top of the document look for the body section.

I changed:

color: #2C2D31;
    to
    color: #FFFFFF

Now my text in the Logon message box is white. I do not know if this will effect all text on the page.

Thanks,
    Alain

24. Andy
    March 23, 2012 at 2:35 pm

I have been looking at customising the “loading.html” page at the root of the website.
    For new client connecting whilst is discovers the receiver client, this page can display for a period of time.
    I have been trying to remove the gradient background to replace with all white but cannot find the right value to customise. Can anyone confirm this?

25. April 13, 2012 at 4:48 am

If you also want to change the links in the footer, modify: .\app_code\PagesJava\com\citrix\wi\controls\FooterControl.java

Change these to whatever you want:
    private static final String FOOTER_LINK_APPS = “http://www.citrix.com”;
    private static final String FOOTER_LINK_DESKTOPS = “http://www.citrix.com/xendesktop”;
    private static final String HDX_LINK = “http://hdx.citrix.com”;

26. joe obyrne
    May 12, 2012 at 2:15 am

You are a legend Andrew, thank you so much for this post and all other posts. You have made my life as a novice in Xen App much much more palitable and reinvigorated my passion for all things simple in IT. Thank you. I will be testing your Thin Kiosk shortly and will post you my findings asap.

27. Sara
    May 14, 2012 at 9:09 pm

This information is great! I removed #5 line, but now want to get rid of the big space between the logon box and the footer. I’m also looking to make the footer font a bit larger. Any help would be great.
    Thanks.

28. Nick Leon
    May 15, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Excellent article! I was able to remove all the branding without problems but how can I change the background itself and replace it with a custom background image?

29. sean
    May 25, 2012 at 3:38 pm

I was wondering if anyone knew how to change the front page to white?

30. Prem
    June 25, 2012 at 7:43 pm

This is great information. Thanks. Is a way to increase font size for pre-logon message?

31. Karen
    August 2, 2012 at 3:36 am

Andrew -thanks for posting this! This was a HUGE help.

32. August 9, 2012 at 3:52 pm

thanks, great post.

33. Connie
    August 16, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Excellent article! Thank you so much! I’d like to change the width of the system message area on the logon page to make it wider.

34. September 11, 2012 at 5:44 pm

do you know how to make this interface work with wyse terminals?

• September 12, 2012 at 9:02 am

Hi Matias,

From what I remember, the wyse client interface is embedded in the device and doesn’t actually use the web interfaces display.

I haven’t a wyse device to test.

A

• Brian Thornton
      September 12, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Matias, What version of WYSE Thin Client are you trying to get it to work on? Is it a ThinOS device, Brian

35. CitrixUser12
    October 8, 2012 at 8:31 pm

How do I leave the Citrix and HDX logos in place but only remove the hyperlinks to prevent users from navigating to those sites? Should I modify the FooterControl.java file and if so, what is the correct syntax to remove only the hyperlinks? I’ve tried to remove the links but that crashes the page.

• October 9, 2012 at 2:57 am

I’ll look at this for you tomorrow

• CitrixUser12
        October 10, 2012 at 10:18 pm

Also wondered if anyone knows how to redirect a user to the usage agreement page when they log out as opposed to the logon page. Ideally, there would be a confirmation after logging out that says you have been successfully logged out click here to log into Citrix or if nothing else, just a simple redirect to the usage agreement page instead of the logon page. This is helpful for kiosks where the browser session remains open constantly.

36. CitrixUser12
    October 26, 2012 at 7:04 pm

Any update on how to redirect a user to the usage agreement page instead of the logon page?

37. Andy
    November 28, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Does anyone know if they can customise the ‘loading’ page that sometimes appears on a client before they hit the ‘PreLoginMessage.aspx’ page?

On the main WI page I hide all the desktop devices and have a plain white background (item 3 in the guides) but on the loading page all these items still show up briefly on occasions until the main site has loaded…

Cheers
    Andy

• Bryan
      January 11, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Andy,

Same exact problem here. Did you ever manage to resolve this?

Thanks.

Bryan

• Drew
        January 25, 2013 at 8:52 pm

Andy/Bryan,

I believe the files you are looking for are:

../loading.htm
        ../loading.htm.default
        ../silentDetectionStyle.inc

I was getting the pesky “Devices.png” graphic popping up briefly before the login page. I finally found I had to edit all three of these to nix it.

Hope this helps!

38. KC
    January 14, 2013 at 8:40 pm

Anyone know how to add the USERNAME that is currently logged in to the web interface to be displayed on the top bar? I’ve done this in previous version but cannot seem to find a hack for this version.

39. Dan Jordan
    January 15, 2013 at 11:56 am

Hi, I was wondering on the webinterface can I publish word
    documents with step by step intructions for the users to
    read?

40. Visitor
    March 3, 2013 at 4:14 pm

Good Job.
    Just missing how to remove the CitrixXenapp Logo after logged out .

Webiste-> Citrix/XenApp/auth/loggedout.aspx

41. April 1, 2013 at 9:29 pm

Thanks Andrew this has been a great help! I was able to change out the with my company banner logo and would like this to also show up on the Applications page in the same location (div id=horizonTop). How can I do that? The website I’ve posted is our existing older version.

• April 1, 2013 at 9:42 pm

insert CitrixXenapp.png

42. Kattz
    May 10, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Thanks this has made my day

43. May 13, 2013 at 5:24 pm

Great article Andrew. Question, any idea how to remove the “Problems Connecting?” link from the Desktops tab? This is shown after folks log into web interface and click on the “Desktops” tab. We would prefer to remove this option as we don’t want users attempting to restart their virtual desktops. Any feedback would be great. Thanks

44. June 18, 2013 at 4:34 am

We have been using Citrix web interface 5.4 designed by InterfacePlanet for 10 month now. I have 60 users that use it consistently. We have really loved the look and feel.
    http://www.interfaceplanet.com really did a good job and I appreciate it.

45. Savio Fernandes
    August 7, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Excellent Post ! Thanks

46. March 18, 2014 at 1:34 pm

Thanks for the share, Awesome article.

I have one small question?

How can we create the new navigation link on Top (header) of the WI beside Settings/Messages tab ?

1. March 23, 2012 at 8:10 am